About The St. James
The St. James is the premier brand in sports, wellness and active entertainment in the country. This 450,000-square-foot complex in Springfield, Virginia features the most comprehensive combination of sports and wellness venues and programming, lifestyle amenities and family-centered active entertainment.
Spike was the chef consultant for the entire food and beverage program at The St. James. This program includes the Market Café, the grab & go counter at Vim & Victor, the full-service restaurant and bar at Vim & Victor, event and party catering at Super, Awesome & Amazing, corporate event catering at The St. James, and luncheons and meal plans for professional athletes.
+ Spike’s scope of work during phase one included:
- Developing restaurant concepts, branding, menus and service plans
- Working with the client’s architecture firm on the design of the restaurant, including both the front and back of the house
- Assisting client in developing a business model for the restaurant, including staffing, salary structure, pricing, food costs, etc.
- Developing an equipment list and procurement plan
- Assisting the client’s branding firm to develop sales materials and collateral for the restaurant
- Assisting the client to develop training programs and materials for employees
- Developing a staffing and recruitment plan, and assisting client in recruiting staff for the restaurant
+ During phase two of this project, Spike’s duties included:
- Advising the client on:
- design, furnishings and layout
- theme, menu and food service and concepts
- food and beverage selection and pricing
- performance standard and requirements for catering
- employee uniforms
- the selection of operating supplies and equipment
- Collaborating with the client to develop policies and procedure with respect to all F&B operations and working closely with the client to implement said policies and procedures
- Participating in pre-opening and annual budget preparation
- Advising the client with regard to sales, marketing and publicity efforts
- Overseeing pre-opening activities, including training staff and inspecting the installation and organization of furnishings, equipment and operating supplies
- Attending media relation events and promoting project through social outlets